Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mike's Newest Obsession

I love reading Men's Health.  My favorite column is always David Zinczenko's "Eat This, Not that!".  He tells you the smarter choices on menus at chains nationwide.  So you can imagine when I discovered he had published two books titled, "Cook This, Not That!".  Needless to say, they are now in my possession..


One of our favorite recipes already is Chicken Marsala.  It's a healthier version of the one found at Romano's Macaroni Grill - which packs a punch of 650 Calories, 12g Saturated Fat, and 1,790mg Sodium (Yikes!).  The recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts pounded to about 1/4" thickness.  I only do two because one is enough per person, and if I make four I'll end up eating two.  By the way, the pounding is the best part of the recipe...


After the pounding, each chicken breast gets coated with flour.  The recipe calls for a cup, but I find that's way too much, so I use about a half.  The flour sticks pretty well without any egg..



So after the chicken is coated with a thin layer of flour, it goes into a pan with about 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil over Medium/High heat.  About 5 minutes per side and they are golden brown..



Put the chicken aside.  This is where I stray from the recipe.  It calls for 2 oz. of prosciutto to be browned in the pan.  Although I'm sure that would taste great, I just don't feel it's necessary.  So I throw in some mushrooms, Marsala Wine and Low Sodium Fat Free Chicken Broth (1/2 cup each), and some Garlic Powder (my own addition).



Cook it all in the same pan for about 10 minutes and you're good to go.  We had a half a box of Whole Wheat Spaghetti so we cooked that up s well.  Quite delicious..


And now for the best part.  Per Serving (with the pasta): 490 Calories, 9g Fat (2g Saturated), 500mg Sodium.  You can probably now see why this has become a staple in our household.

1 comment: